Welcome to Speak Club
"Too many women in too many countries speak the same language - silence.
- Hillary Clinton
Bring your dry mouth, your unleashed voice, your wobbly knees, and your desire to change the world, one speech at a time.Speak Club is a public speaking club for women who want to exercise their public speaking skills and strengthen their speaking-up muscles.
- If youve ever passed up an opportunity and later wished youd spoken up, this club will help you to reduce that inhibition or even eliminate it altogether.
- If you dream of being on stage giving presentations but youre not sure what to say, youll learn how to develop material thats meaningful toyouand easy to talk about.
- If youve ever felt embarrassed when all attention is on you, youll learn to be comfortable being seen and to ask for the feedback you need.
Think of this club as an incubator for confidence. This is a safe training arena with a supportive group of womenwhove got you back and who all have similar goals.There are no expectations or pressure to perform a certain way. (We already put enough on ourselves, dont we?!)Every member trains at her own paceand no experienceisnecessary.
Every woman can visit once before deciding to join. An overview of our typical meeting agenda is below:
- Hello/intro from each attendee (1 min each)
- Improv game to warm-up (10 min)
- A body language tip on public speaking (5 min)
- Up to 6 women give a 5-7 min speech (~30 min)
- Members provide 5 mins of feedback on each speech. Positive feedback is provided & constructive feedback is given upon request. (~30 mins)
- 2 min freestyle speeches by any attendee (20 mins)
- Discuss the rasa prompt for the following meeting and members sign up to speak
- Closing & Announcements
How it Works
Speak Club structure revolves around a powerful concept from theater called rasa. Rasa is theessence of an emotion that is communicated through bodylanguage. Each meeting will use adifferent element of rasa as a theme and willincorporate a new body language tip to enhance yourpresence.
- We meet in person 2x per month on the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of every month
- Each meeting, up to 6 members give a 5-minute speech and receive feedback
- Suggested prompts are provided for each meeting
- After attending one meeting for free, members pay a $25/monthly membership fee
- Members keep the conversation going in a private Facebook group to share resources, support, and make great connections
- An online version of Speak Club will be forming via Zoom in August.
- The maximum number per one club is 12 members and new clubs may start up with more interest
Whether youre interested in enhancing your public speaking powers to become a more confident communicator in your personal relationships, leadership role at work, or professional speaking engagements, Speak Club will get you in shape.