Endorsed by Curators:
February is SHARE THE LOVE month and we are collecting fleece blankets (Walmart/Dollar General sell them for under $3) to help keep our shelter doggies warm on a cold kennel night.
A $10 per participant donation is greatly appreciated and will be collected at the event during check-in via cash, credit card or check. Thank you for your support of our nonprofit organization! You can learn more about us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
The ASPCA (https://www.aspca.org/about-us) indicates that of the roughly 3.9 million dogs entering shelters per year approximately 31% are euthanized. In some urban areas these numbers run as high as 78%.
Be a part of reducing euthanasia rates by hiking with local homeless hounds! Socialization and exercise can reduce kennel related stress and anxiety and improve shelter dog behaviors, thus extending their lives.
Tails of the Trail invite you to hike with shelter dogs for a couple hours of exercise and companionship. We're partnering with Young-Williams Animal Center (https://www.young-williams.org/) and we'll hike the furry pups on Third Creek Greenway (http://www.outdoorknoxville.com/places/greenways/west/third-creek-greenway) entering at 3110 Sutherland Ave for a total of up to 2.0 miles, depending on the temperatures that morning.
9:00a - Arrive at the shelter for required Volunteer Orientation.
9:15a - Get paired with your furry hiking companion and load up for transport to the trailhead about one mile away.
9:30a - Let the fun begin!
10:45a - Return to the shelter for dog cool down, pup portraits and pupsicle treats.
11:00a - Now it's time for human socialization and our treats.
11:30p - Conclude event and thanks so much for joining us!
What to bring:
- You may bring a guest but only one (1) dog per RSVP.
- WaitListed participants are encouraged to join in the FUN though will not be guaranteed a dog to walk.
- Children with a parent or guardian are welcome to participate however kids under 18 may not be the sole leash holder.
- Dog treats
- No personal pets allowed.
- Do bring along a towel, blanket or seat protector as we will be transporting the dogs to the trailhead in individual vehicles.
- Please load the app ResQwalk (IOS) (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/resqwalk/id889050235?mt=8) or (Android) (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.resqwalk) on your smart phone and select YWAC as your sponsored shelter so they can earn financial donations from our event.
For your safety and the safety of the dogs:
- You must sign a YWAC Volunteer Waiver, required on your first visit only. Click here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/baeiuq2ksw4ibvj/YWAC%20Waiver.docx?dl=0) to review, print, fill out and bring with you to expedite the orientation process.
- Read our Volunteer Orientation Guide (http://www.tailsofthetrail.com/docs/TOTT-Volunteer-Orientation-2015.pdf) prior to arrival.
- No dogs off leash at any time.
Thanks to our sponsor:
Nature's Select (https://nstennessee.secure.force.com/)
How to find us:Meet at the front of the shelter