Get out of Portland and into the desert! This hike along the lower John Day River will be guided by knowledgeable volunteers who will discuss high desert ecology and ONDA's conservation mission. Cottonwood Canyon is Oregon's newest and second-largest state park, and is about a 2-hour drive from Portland. Meet us at 6:30 a.m. at the Gateway Transit Center parking lot to carpool from town, or meet us in the day use area by 9 a.m. to hit the trail.
Difficulty: Gentle, 7 mile hike along the John Day River.
Morning coffee is generously provided by Nossa Familia Coffee.
ONDA Hiker information
- Hikes have a limited capacity. As such, we ask that you only register for hikes that you are certain you will attend.
- Expect a phone call from us the week before the hike confirming your attendance. We will have a waitlist for each hike and will release your spot to someone on the waitlist if we are unable to confirm your attendance.
- Each hiker is required to sign a liability release form at the beginning of the hike.
- We love our furry friends, but your pet is not invited on this trip.
- Hikers will meet at the Gateway Transit Center 1321 NE 99th Ave, Portland, OR and carpool to the trailhead. Do you have a car you are willing to drive for the hike? Let us know how many people you can take, including yourself. If you are able and willing to drive, please come with a full tank of gas. If you can't or do not wish to drive, please bring cash and plan to contribute between 5 and 10 cents per mile to the driver of your carpool. Directions will be provided for drivers.
Attendees should bring:
- A positive attitude and inquisitive mind
- Small backpack
- Water- at least 2 liters
- Your own lunch, we will provide morning coffee and tea
- Epi-pen/inhaler/meds, if needed
- Sturdy shoes/boots
- Extra clothing layers, high desert temperatures can fluctuate dramatically
- Hat (Optional)
- Trekking poles (Optional)
- We will do our best to make accommodations for those with special needs, but please let us know well in advance. The nature of this hike involves hiking over rocky and rough terrain that may be unsuitable for some.
Please email Elise@onda.org if you have any questions, concerns, or need an accommodation for the hike.