Discover the trails of Loxahatchee Slough with the help of Palm Beach Countys Department of Environmental Resources Management (ERM) during this unique tour that incorporates cycling and hiking.
The Bike & Hike will meet at Karen T. Marcus Sandhill Crane Access Park located on PGA Blvd. From there we'll bike 5 miles along the Bluegill trail and then hike for 1 hour (1/3 mile) then bike back the 5 miles to Sandhill Crane Access Park. It's a total of 10 miles biking and 1 hour of hiking. The hiking will go through ankle to potentially knee deep water....this is truly "Adventure Awaits"
- The meet up location is at the Karen T. Marcus Sandhill Crane Access Park, 8175 PGA Boulevard Palm Beach Gardens, FL 33418. Please be there at 8:00 am sharp. Please note that Sandhill Crane Access Park has restroom facilities but it does not have drinking water.
- Directions: From I-95 or the Turnpike take the PGA Boulevard exit. Head west (4 miles from I-95 or 2 miles from the Turnpike). The Karen T. Marcus Sandhill Crane Access Park is located on the north side of PGA Boulevard.
- We will bike 5 miles along the Bluegill Trail to the hiking trail head, then take a 0.7 mile hike for approximately 1 hour and then bike back the 5 miles to Sandhill Crane Access Park. 10 miles of biking and 0.7 miles of hiking.
- For the biking, the surface of this improved multi-use trail consists of compacted shellrock and may be uncomfortable to ride on with a road bike. Beach cruisers, mountain bikes and hybrid bikes are all appropriate.
- For the hiking, please be prepared to walk through above knee deep water.
- There will be a support vehicle with water, snacks, first aid and some bike tools available during all phases of this event. This vehicle will also be able to transport any special equipment, such as spare shoes, that you may want to bring for the hike portion of the event. The support vehicle will watch the bikes during the hike.
- The support vehicle will have drinking water but please bring extra water and/or your own water bottle that you can fill up.
- Please monitor this events facebook page for updates including cancellation due to inclement weather.
- A bicycle in good working order.
- It is highly recommended that you wear a helmet while riding. Use of a helmet is required by law for all riders under the age of 16.
- Water bottle.
- Tool kit and spare tube.
- Hat and sunscreen.
- Insect repellent.