Endorsed by Curators:
Bariatric surgeries are common, with 150,000 to 200,000 surgeries performed annually in the United States and new endoscopic procedures emerging. A firm understanding of obesity and its consequences, as well as outcomes, management of complications, and metabolic benefits of surgery are instrumental when caring for bariatric patients.
Virginia Hospital Center presents its 2018 Bariatric Symposium. This conference is designed to enhance the knowledge base of the healthcare providers that care for patients undergoing bariatric surgery.Experts will be presenting topics that occur throughout the patient's care continuum. We welcomenurses and nursing students, dietitians, physician assistants, and nurse practitioners involved in care of the bariatric patient. (4.16 Contact Hours)
Program Topics include:
1. Obesity and Endocrine Disorders
2. Behavioral Changes to Promote Physical Activity
3. Mood and Food
4. Mobilizing the Obese Patient: Safe Lifting and Injury Risk
5. VTE Prevention and Treatment
6. The Nursing Role in Pre- and Post-Operative Education
7. Sleeve Gastrectomy and Gastric Bypass
8. Duodenal Switch and Other Malabsorptive Procedures
9. Endoscopic Bariatric Procedures
10. Recognizing Bariatric Complications
11. Long-Term Management of Bariatric Patients, including comorbidities andvitamin/micronutrient deficiencies
12. Body Contouring after Bariatric Surgery
Virginia Hospital Center is an approved provider of continuing education by the Virginia Nurses Association Continuing Education Approval Committee, an accredited approver by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.4.16 contact hours will be provided for nurses who sign-in, are present for the entire program, and complete an evaluation form.
- A light breakfast will be provided before the symposium (7:00 a.m. - 7:45 a.m.).
-There will be no penalty for cancellations received before May 5, 2018. No refund will be issued for cancellations received on or after May 5, 2018. Family emergencies and illnesses causing the inability to attend the conference will follow the same cancellation procedure as previously stated. All cancellations must be sent in writing via email to email@example.com
-Please note there is a parking garage on site with a $5 dailyparking fee. Street parking is limited.
-Space permitting, you may register on-site on the morning of the conference before 7:50 a.m. Cash or check only will be accepted to register on-site.
-Although rarely necessary, VHC reserves the right to substitute speakers or change speakers' time slots.